Actually it's from Ohio to Ukraine, back to Ohio, then to China

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

update on Grandpa, more doctor's appointments

Grandpa's surgery went well. The doctors had to remove most of his stomach, but they felt they had good margins in regards to the cancer. He is headed home today. Thank you so much for your prayers - I know God heard them and answered. I don't know what the next step is in his treatment, but please continue to pray for him and my Grandmother.
-------
Tomorrow Wesley has an appointment with the genetics department and also an evaluation with the speech department (it will be a long morning/day). I am curious to hear their thoughts on how delayed he is. Mom and I were just discussing today how Wesley is beginning to ennunciate more clearly. When you read a book to him, he watches your mouth and tries to immitate the sounds you make. (It is pretty cute) At our original evaluation at the International Adoption Center a week after arriving in the US, the therapist said that she thought he was around a 9 month-old. Personally, I thought he was further along than that, but he didn't talk much during the appointment.
-------
Full day one with the walking boot is over. So far it isn't as bad as I thought it would be (it still is not what I would call pleasant). I took Wesley to the mall today so I could practice walking around without fear of embarassment (I didn't know anyone and everyone was much older than myself). I think I pretty much have walking down now, but I did figure out that it is much easier to walk with the boot on my right foot when I have a heel on my left foot. Otherwise my right leg is longer, and I seriously wobble. Now at least 27 more days to go...the good news for me though is that my foot doesn't hurt at all when I have the boot on, so I guess it will do what it is intended to do (at least I hope so)!!

Wesley blowing a kiss

here's a wonderful picture of the boot. It is not easy to find pants with a wide enough leg to cover it either - luckily I wear a lot of wide-leg pants, but most aren't big enough to cover the boot!!

7 comments:

Kathy and Matt said...

Our kindergartener broke her ankle the first week of school at recess and had to wear the boot for about 5 weeks. Within a week, she was running (all too well) with that thing and it was all I could do to keep her from climbing on the playground equipment. Thankfully now she's 100%. Hope your experience with the boot is as much fun!

Matt and Aimee said...

Just got back from Ukraine with our new "15 year old ticking Ukrainian time bomb". I tore all the ligaments in my ankle three weeks before traveling. I have the exact same boot and have been in it for 7 weeks-still one more week to go. Spent the entire trip in Ukraine walking around int it! I drive for UPS and haven't worked for 2 months because of it. Interesting "blog". Our newest addition brought us up to 5 teen-age girls(although only one from Ukraine). Couldn't believe I saw that picture of "the boot". Small world. Matt

Staci and Damon said...

Matt -
How horrible!! I am so thankful that the foot problems happened after we were home and not before we left. I do think though that walking so much in Ukraine caused the stress fracture. I wore shoes that are good for walking, but probably not as many miles as we walked! Hopefully you can give "the boot" the boot soon!!
Staci

LisaMarie said...

Check out those sexy toes on the other foot though! :)

Norma said...

Hey--your boot looks better than my legs!

Chris Haven said...

Staci, any particular reason you are taking him to a genetic doctor? How did the appt go?

Staci and Damon said...

We went to a genetic doctor to see if Wesley had any of the other genetic issues that usually come with esophageal atresia. Surprisingly, it does not look like he does! We are so thankful that the esophagus seems to be his only medical issue!! We go to a cardiologist and a pulmonologist on Monday. After those two appointments, it will be determined that Wes only has the EA to deal with.
Staci

Post a Comment

We love to know you're reading! Please leave a comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...