Actually it's from Ohio to Ukraine, back to Ohio, then to China

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

the last few days

I don't really have anything new to report. Wesley is getting a new tube put in tomorrow. Every couple of weeks, he gets a smaller tube until he can get the "button" (a g-tube that isn't really a tube sticking out of his stomach). The doctors have to change the tube every couple of weeks to allow his stomach to heal closed around the smaller tube. The actual changing of the tube seems like a fairly simple process. Wesley didn't seem to have trouble with that part, but as the hole was healing closed, it bothered him. I am not sure if the problem was that the healing felt itchy to him or the fact that the tube has a balloon at the end in his stomach. About 5 days after the last tube change, Wesley was waking up every 2-3 hours in the night. Now this might not seem like a big deal to you, the reader, but to us it was. Wesley has slept through the night, every night since we got him, so this was totally unexpected. The waking up in the night got better after a couple of days and stoppped completely a week ago. Now we get the tube changed tomorrow and we'll see if the waking up starts again. (Damon and I are praying it won't - for our sake and his. It makes for a rough day when all three of us are tired)


When the tube is replaced tomorrow, the doctor is also going to do a test to see how much esophagus Wesley has. We were told in Ukraine that he has very little, so any more than a little would be wonderful! The more he has, the easier the surgery to repair (at least theoretically).


We have been working with Wesley on taking food and drink by mouth. This is usually a tough issue with children who have never taken food by mouth due to feedings coming exclusively through the g-tube. We take a sippy cup with us when we go out to dinner and encourage him to drink when we take a drink. He is catching on, but it isn't something he loves to do yet. I did figure out the other night that he does like chocolate milk, so we're trying that.


I have also started to feed him baby food. I won't lie - feeding by mouth is not my favorite thing to do. I know how incredibly important it is for Wes to learn how to swallow and chew, but the mess is, well, it is a mess. We had sweet potatoes the other day, and so far that seems to be his favorite. He DOES NOT like peas, but really, who can blame him?? I feed him about 1.5 ounces of baby food a day, and the feeding process takes at least 30 minutes. I am glad that even after the esophagus surgery Wesley will have the feeding tube until he can take enough food by mouth. If the feedings don't get any faster, then we will be feeding him about 15 hours a day! I am confident though that once he is able to eat a wider variety of foods that he will enjoy eating more. I am excited though that he has taken to eating fairly easily! I have to attribute that to how laid-back Wesley is.


Wesley was at almost 21 pounds last week, so he has gained four pounds since we got him! Four pounds wouldn't be noticeable on most people, but so far he has gained 20% of his body weight and grown one inch. I am excited to see what he weighs tomorrow. You can tell that he is gaining weight as he has fat cheeks and a few fat rolls. He has also "lost" his knuckles due to the fat in his little hands. I have a lot more trouble carrying him than I did just a few weeks ago. That is due to the weight gain and the "squirminess" of a 20 month-old who wants to run around.


Please pray for the tube change tomorrow for Wesley. Please also pray for my Grandpa as he is having surgery on Friday for stomach cancer. We are praying the doctor can remove the cancer laproscopically (the only a few small incisions) and with no other issues. I look forward to posting the good results!!


Mountain Girl said...

I ALWAYS look forward to your updates! Will keep Wesley and your Grandpa in my prayers. It sounds like Wesley is doing GREAT!

Anonymous said...

We will pray for Wesley and Grandpa as well. God is Awesome.

Kathy and Matt said...

Great to read your update. Thanks for letting us know how to pray.

I can definitely see how Wesley has filled out! He is such a darling little guy. Aside from the waking up, it's great to hear how well things are going.

Tami said...

Wesley is such a cutie! We'll be praying for the little guy as he goes through the replacement tomorrow. And for Grandpa as well.

Amy said...

Hi Staci!
Is he able to eat yogurt? You might be able to make him a smoothie - if he will eat it off a spoon!
All my kids hated peas (the baby food kind!) You may want to try making you own mixture! Mashed potatoes were (and still are one of my kids favorites!)
Never fear - it will happen for him, its just a matter of time!

Best wishes!

LisaMarie said...

Your kid is so stinking cute! I love the pictures that you take. :) I hope the tube change went well and that they found more esophogus that you thought he had. It's such a weird thing to write....but I do hope for it. :)

We should get together soon. I'd love to see your house and I know Kendall would like visiting with Damon. :)

Post a Comment

We love to know you're reading! Please leave a comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...