Actually it's from Ohio to Ukraine, back to Ohio, then to China

Monday, July 11, 2011

heaven and hell - conversations with a four year-old

So maybe this is normal or maybe it isn't, but we talk a lot about death, heaven and hell in our house. And by a lot I mean many conversations daily. We try to tailor the conversations to the understanding ability of a four year-old, which is difficult with this kid's questions. We also try to be biblical correct. I don't want to give him incorrect information, though it would be much easier than the research and remembering I've been doing! I also want to give him age-appropriate information, which can be difficult to gauge. Here's what we've said so far:
- once you go to heaven or hell, you stay there forever
- heaven is a wonderful nice place where you live with Jesus forever
- hell is a bad place (Wes also calls it dangerous) with fire and you are sad forever.
If you know of any good books or resources that might answer his questions, please leave a comment and let me know!!

This morning while driving (obviously it was me driving), Wesley started his daily question and answer session regarding heaven and hell...

Wes: Are there cars in heaven?
Me: I don't know. The Bible doesn't say, but I doubt it.
Wes: Are there cars in hell?
Me: I don't know. The Bible doesn't say, but I doubt it.

a few seconds later...
Wes: Do you wear clothes in heaven?
Me: I don't know, the Bible doesn't say. {are you noticing a pattern here?}
Wes: I hope not.
Me: Why?
Wes: I like being naked.

a few seconds after that...
Wes: Do you eat in heaven?
Me: I don't know, the Bible doesn't say.  
Wes: I'm pretty sure you have to eat in hell.
Me: Why?
Wes: Because its hell. {what else could I expect from the kid who HATES to eat?}
Me: (laughing) Okay...
Wes: (in a serious tone) It's not funny.
Me: Maybe a little?
Wes: (an even more serious tone) No, it's not.
Me: (still snickering in the front seat)
Wes: Still not funny, Mommy.

Silly, silly boy...

4 comments:

Chris Haven said...

hi stacey, we have talked to the girls about this too. I have told them we know that heaven is spending forever with God and worshiping him. We believe heaven will be like the garden of Eden, because it was perfect (until adam and eve disobeyed). I believe everything that God has given us to enjoy will be there too. EATING. adam and eve ate of the trees even before they sinned. We will also work, in Genessis God gave Adam the job of naming the animals. Just my take on heaven. And Hell is seperation from God, so it will not be good!!!

LisaMarie said...

Oh what a good conversation to log!!! LOL! We have been trying to talk to Max more about death because Morrie is getting very old and want him to understand that death means we go away and don't come back. When the giraffe at the Cincy zoo died a few weeks ago we tried to explain heaven to Max. (I believe in the Rainbow Bridge for animals/pets.) He now calls it "husband" and drives all of his zoo animals in his horse trailer to "husband" at least once a week. *shaking my head*

Robin Feltner said...

So cute! That's a hard topic to explain. Especially when they ask you questions that you've never even thought of before, like...are there cars in heaven? ha!

Jennie and Kim said...

How adorable :) We haven't really started getting in too deep with our 2 year old, but we talk about God being good and jesus. We haven't talked about hell yet. I applaud you for being open and honest and you will have to let us know if you come across any good resources along the way! Great meeting you at bloggy con! Love the blog! Let us know if there is anything we can do to support your bloggy journey!! (motherhoodsupport.com)

Post a Comment

We love to know you're reading! Please leave a comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...