Actually it's from Ohio to Ukraine, back to Ohio, then to China

Monday, June 16, 2008

Expectations

We have three and a half weeks until we leave - talk about surreal!! It seems like this is something that we have been waiting on forever, and I am so thankful that it is all coming true!!!
---------------------
Since we are "expecting" (though not in the traditional birth way), I have always thought about what our son will be like, as I imagine most parents-to-be do. Since we have been in this process for about 18 months, my expectations and ideas have changed. It's so funny, our son in my mind has gotten older as we have waited for him to arrive. I never expected that he would age in my mind as we went through the process! When we started the whole process, I was sure that our son had to be 18 months old (at most), but now he is at least three or four years old in my mind. Anyone else have their child age in their mind as they waited?
---------------------
We have started updating all our dossier documents for travel. We are getting three copies of each document in the chance we decide to adopt two children. I am hoping to get everything gathered in the next week or so to give us time to get to the Secretary of State's office in Columbus a few weeks before we leave. I just want to be sure that we don't have any paperwork "snafus" before leaving. Of course that means that if it is not the paperwork, then it will be something else...such is life :)

12 comments:

Susan & Truman said...

I can't wait to follow your time in Ukraine!!! Enjoy your next few weeks.

jennjenn said...

We're praying that everything goes smoothly!! And yes, my ideas of "her" have changed over the past few months also. I can't imagine having over a year to think about it. But we know that God has the perfect son(s) just waiting for you!!!

The Flying Eagle said...

How exciting. Just wondering why you are updating Dossier docs? Did your facilitator express concern? Also curious about the copies. We specifically asked for 2 children and were only required to send one copy of the Dossier. Do you have an agency or are you going independent? Thanks!

Kathy and Matt said...

It is exciting to hear how soon you'll be traveling! Can't wait to follow your journey.

The only advice I'd offer is to make sure any changes to your homestudy regarding number of children/ages of children are on record with the USCIS before your go. When you prepare to leave Ukraine, the folks at the US Embassy won't be able to approve your paperwork if it doesn't match what they have in their system.

Best of luck as you wrap things up!

Staci and Damon said...

We are updating our dossier documents because they are only "good" for six months. Essentially they should have six months left before the one year expiration date. Ours will be expiring soon, and we want to ensure that we have updated everything so there are no issues with dossier paperwork while in Ukraine.

We are getting multiple copies of our documents to ensure that if we adopt two children in differenct regions, then we have a full dossier for each. The third copy is "just in case."

We are adopting independently through Cathy Harris at Ukrainian Angels (www.ukrainianangels.org)

Stefanie and Bill said...

HI Staci and Damon!
I just checked your blog and glad to see you updated! I've been thinking about you guys! We are soooo excited for you. Can't wait to see what God has in store for you! Keep us posted!

Stefanie (and Bill and Peter!)

Amy said...

Hi Guys!
Getting really excited for you!
My email is not working - so I wanted to make sure that you got the phone... let me know... so I can toss the mail paperwork!
Can't wait! Its gonna be fun to follow along!

Amy

Tami said...

Yep. Everything changed for us. We went into this hoping for a girl around 18 months of age...and ended up opening ourselves up for just about anything. And of course as you know, we came home with a daughter who was nearly four and had special needs. I wouldn't trade her for anything! :) Can't wait to see who God has in store for you. :)

Melissa E. said...

It's getting closer!!! I hope all goes well!

I remember when we were in the phase you are now: packing and alternating between being excited, nervous, thrilled and anxious, dreaming of your new love and of course, hoping you have thought of everything!!!

You have, haven't you? *wink,wink*
:-)

Bob said...

Best wishes! Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Oh, it's getting close - so excited for you guys!!!

Kristin Johnson said...

Wow! I can across your blog while looking at "Baby Austin's" blog. I really am excited for you two. Becoming a parent is amazing! We having been looking into adoption - now I know someone who may be able to give me some advice. Take care on your trip and may you return safely with your "new" family. Congrats!!!
An old friend,
Kristin (Halverson) Johnson

Post a Comment

We love to know you're reading! Please leave a comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...